Fount solutions are designed to dampen lithographic printing plates to ensure the image areas remain moistened and cannot accept ink.
The lithographic process relies upon a stable ink/water relationship with ink generally absorbing approximately 20% of damping water to form a stable emulsion. The following problems can occur when this emulsion is out of sync.
- Increased dot gain
- Picture framing on blankets
- Background tinting on plates
- Poor ink drying and scuff resistance
To overcome these problems the following points should be observed:
- Ensure that the water entering the circulating system has a hardness of between 10-14dH German harness (IPT technicians can undertake this task)
- Ensure dampening additive is dosed in accordance to the water hardness.
- Ensure inking rollers a free of calcium deposits
- Check temperature of fount dampening solution.
- Check ink and dampening roller settings.
Buy your FOGRA-approved Fount Solution from ITP and receive your product NEXT DAY. If you need advice with choosing the right solution for your offset fount, simply give us a call on 0845 603 4005. Out team is here and ready to help.
Fount Solutions & Additives